From:
Louis Kim Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Jul 2004 23:17:15 -0400
Hi Jerry.

Well, I'm the wrong person to ask about variable pitch metering, but I can
tell you that there are a variety of rigs out there with synthetic speech
readouts, and judging from the comments on the list, the Kenwood TS2000 and
the Kenwood TS480  are among the best out there.  One thing I would
heartily recommend in addition to the voice synthesizer is to purchase an
automatic antenna tuner with whatever radio you end up getting.  I have
auto tuners with both of the rigs that I use here, and think it is one of
the best innovations for blind operators ever made.  It, in combination
with my voice frequency display, makes my HF rigs quite accessible.

If you look at the Icom radios like the IC-756 Pro, or similar Icom radios,
there is an aftermarket controller called the Millenium QSYer which
provides the ability to do keypad entry of frequencies--another God
send.  I have one for my Icom IC-706 MkII G, and I love it.

So there are things for you to consider.  Unfortunately, the Millenium
QSYer doesn't support keypad entry on Kenwood radios, but there are other
ways to keypad the TS-2000.  I'm not sure what the story is with the '480.

73, de Lou K2LKK

At 09:40 PM 7/17/2004 -0400, you wrote:
>Hello folks.
>
>My name is Jerry Neufeld, v e 3 q s o, a long time ago, k 6 u u x.
>
>Although a ham since 1956, I have been inactive these last 12 years, now
>woefully ignorant about what I might expect in terms of speech read-outs in
>high end transcievers, e.g. TS2000, Icom 756 pro, etc. Knowing that I am
>looking for the best equipment I can find that gives me at least some access
>to frequency, s meter and menus, what recommendations would anyone who has
>the time to do so make to me as what to buy.
>
>Also, I am looking for a variable pitch auditory device for relative meter
>voltage readings, i.e. 0 to 200 milovolts.
>
>Thanks to anyone who is able to help.
>
>Regards to everyone.
>
>Jerry

Louis Kim Kline