From:
Ashley Moran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Sep 2004 09:26:17 +0100
On Aug 25, 2004, at 5:37 pm, Jim Swayze wrote:
> Andrew > I'd be interested to know other weight trainers experience on
> low carb regimes
>
> Quite well, actually.  As I believe Ashley pointed out, you really
> have to ensure that you get enough fat -- particularly saturated fat
> -- in your diet.  I eat pemmican bars like Power Bars now when I do
> longer, endurance exercise.

I don't think I appreciated what I was saying when I first brought this
up!  Although I've been sternly corrected and now know that chicken
thighs are exactly 58% fat, and pork is exactly 51% fat, so I was
obviously wrong to suspect I was not eating enough of the stuff.

But ignoring that- I've done some thinking lately.  The idea that you
should be more hungry eating paleo seemed strange to me- but the other
thing in NeanderThin that caught my eye was the description of protein
toxicity (which includes increased hunger).  I remember reading
somewhere (NeanderThin too?) that the pleistoceine megafauna would
possible have had 40% body fat.  The meat I buy is nowhere near this
fatty- the best mince I can buy (Tesco Value range) has 28% fat.

I'm no longer concerned about eating saturated fat (reading The
Cholesterol Myths by Uffe Ravnskov) has really convinced me it's safe-
although I should have known that from observations of Eskimos.  So my
solution to feeling hungry is to add beef dripping or pork lard to
everything I make.  For example- I braised a lamb shoulder the other
day, chopped it up and put it on microwave boxes.  Then, before eating
it, I added about 50-100g of beef dripping and put it in the microwave
until the dripping had melted, then poured it over a salad and ate it
before the fat congealed.

Any comments on this?  It works fantastically for me- I feel far less
hungry and can cut down my carb intake (I was keeping some dried fruit
in a box to eat after every piece of meat).  It's not quite the same as
having a nice piece of fat to chew but it comes close.

Ashley