Date:
Mon, 3 May 2004 16:10:51 EDT

We successfully ate gf at Legoland, CA. Thanks to all on the listserv for the
info. I was contacted by the head chef prior to going and he was helpful. We
met him at the park where he made sure our food was prepared safely. He wasn't
sure about the sauce on the apple fries, but others on the listserv said they
ate it safely, so we did too and were fine, but use your own judgement. I
would recommend the hot dogs over the hamburgers. The hot dogs were large in size
and I think were Hebrew National brand.  The hamburgers were overcooked. The
fries were good. And the apple fries were very, very good.
Information: 760.918.5346
Head Chef: Paul 760.846.0876

Fast Food:
· Call Chef Paul 10 minutes before eating to give leeway before dining on
fast food.    He will make sure gloves are changed, etc.
· hamburgers and hot dogs are gf
· fryer for French Fries is dedicated
Sit Down:
· Sports Cafe-Salmon and chicken breast are gluten free
· Garden Restaurant-all pasta is wheat
· Dessert-Apple fries.  made with gf batter and cooked in dedicated fryer.
Sauce has 1 drop of a filler of some sort in vanillan extract and caramel
color which is made in Fullerton, CA (which to me meant it was gf since it was
USA made).
The Market Place:
Store in The Beginning, has yogurt, etc. we could buy to eat.  Also has
lockers for rental for $3 + $2 deposit.

Here is the Information I received from the listserv about San Diego. Thank
you everyone! Laurie
1. I brought my own food in a backpack and stored it in [Legoland's]
lockers...they have and ice cream parlor in the little kids play area that has
Dreyers, I believe. There are also carts along the way that sell sodas and bagged
chips (Lays, etc.) and popcorn...[popcorn ingredients seemed okay]...My daughter
ate the popcorn without incident...food is expensive.
2. website www.glutenfreeinsd.com  (I checked it out..it was helpful)
3.Henry's in San Diego..sells gf food
4.PF Changs, Outback, Chipotle offer some GF items
5. Zibibbo's in Carlsbad/Enc
initas.  They have a wonderful Osso Buco dish and they do not automatically
put croutons on the salads. The dressing is balsamic vinegar and olive oil.
Mildly expensive.  kai's restaurant in Leucadia is good and they are
accomoating.  The chicken and rice soup is the best I have ever had.  They substituted
warm tortillas instead of a roll.
6. The restaurants in Old Town, San Diego are mostly Mexican and easy to
figure out what we can have.  Hash House A Go Go www.hashhouseagogo.com
7. In n Out Burgers-fast food. Order protein-style burger, which comes
wrapped in lettuce. The sauce is gf and so are the fries.  Excellent! (We ate there
several times it was so good).  We also like Wahoo Fish Tacos.
8.Chevy's (regional chain-kid friendly) There is a gf listing from 11/5/03
listserv.  Check each restaurant individually though.  800/4-chevys
9. El Pollo Loco (regional chain-kid friendly)  Fast food, but very fresh and
good)-most of their items are gf. 949/399-2000. (NOTE from Laurie--we tried
one of these and the order taker didn't have a clue so we left.)
10.You'll find lots of Mexican restaurants--the more authentic the
safer..You're usually safe with shredded chicken or beef in a corn tortilla, beans,
Spanish rice.  Beware of enchilada sauce, although usually it's safe tooo. The
Spanish word for flour is "harina" and the word for wheat is "trigo."  If you say
"no harina" or "no trigo" they usually understand what you mean.
11.  Because of our proximity to the Pacific Ocean, you'll find great seafood
restaurants.
12. Albert's restaurant at San Diego Zoo
Seau's at Mission Valley
Brigantine, and Boathouse on Coronado Island
Gas Lamp District-Edgewater Brill (in Seaport Village Area): The Fishmarket,
Sally's, Buster's, Royal Thai, Fred'son, Greystone the Steakhouse, The Food
Park.
13. Las Fajitas on 5th Street near market.  They are wonderful! They use a
wheat free soy sauce to flavor their fajitas.  We had the BEST fajitas I've had
in a long time. I can not say enough about how easy they were to deal with, so
understanding, and perfectly willing to make multiple trips to the kitchen to
make sure everything came out right. (I had a CSA card with me on GF/CF
eating...)
14.The Mongolian Grill at Horton Plaza.  (I think the exact name is Great
Khan's but I could be wrong.) ...what WONDERFUL people.
15. Tony Romas (national chain-kid friendly) they have a list of their gf
foods.  800.286-7662