VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
steve hoad <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 19 Apr 2005 09:01:09 -0400
My suspicious nature has already made me nervous and careful about
activities with Yahoo!  They do not answer their work around for the hidden
graphic that must be typed in (blind folks need the work around) they never
answer their tech questions or anything at their "contact" links at least,
not in my experience.

Their privacy policy has always had a clause in it that makes your ownership
of anything posted to their groups go away, they own it and can use it if
they choose.

So, this is the next thing, along with what I believe to be the
transportation of spywear with their advertisers, this could be slowing your
computer, invading your privacy, and using your computer system for their
gain.

We must forward this around and encourage any group or organization using
Yahoogroups to use some other service.  I've used Topica ( www.topica.com )
and Smartgroups ( www.smartgroups.com ) and there are other list services
that can push Yahoo away from our machines.

Forward this on, if you would, especially to folks in your address book who
have Yahoo addresses and run Yahoo Groups!

Not posting from Windsor Maine;
Steve Hoad

****Important*****Yahoo is now using something called "Web Beacons" to track
Yahoo
Group users around the net and see what you're doing and where you
are going similar to cookies. Yahoo is recording
every website and every group you visit. Take a look at their updated
privacy
statement: http://privacy.yahoo.com/privacy

About half-way down the page, in the section on cookies, you will
see a link that says web beacons. Click on the phrase web beacons.
That will bring you to a paragraph entitled "Outside the Yahoo
Network."

In this section you'll see a little "click here to opt out"
link that will let you "opt-out" of their new method of snooping.

Once you have clicked that link, you are exempted. Notice the
"Success" message on the top of the next page. Be careful because
on that page there is a "Cancel Opt-out" button that, if clicked,
will *undo** the opt-out.
Feel free to forward this to other groups.

This email was sent to: [log in to unmask]