From:
Ray Audette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jul 2004 00:27:01 -0500
From: "Todd Moody" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Monday, July 19, 2004 9:51 AM
Subject: Re: Calories vs weight

> To say that the relationship between calories and body weight is
> nonlinear is one thing; to say there is no relationship is another.
> Which do you say?
Lowering calories moderatly may cause the resting metabolic rate to slow
allowing the body to store more fat and thus gain weight.
Caloric intake is not a good indicator for the body to signal seasonal fat
storage as it may vary considerable from year to year while seasonal
requirements for stored fat remain more constant.  When the need is to store
fat, carbohydrates form a larger part of an ape diet.  Regardless of how
good a fruit year it has been, fat must be stored if one is to survive the
winter ( or dry season in the tropics).  When stored fat is required
(winter) high fat nuts and animals ( who have stored their own fat) are all
that is available.
see:Knott,C. (1998). Changes in orangutan diet, caloric intake and ketones
in  response to fluctuating fruit availability. Int J Primatol 19:
1061-1079.

> >In a resent study adolesent offered an unlimmited buffet ate 30% fewer
> >calories when offered a high fat selection than a low fat one.  Nothing
> >produces saity faster than fat.
When your food triggers the need to become fat your hunger grows.  Sumo
wrestlers must eat a low-fat diet to be able to stomach the amount of
calories they eat.  To eat that many calories in pemmican would be a real
chore.  Eating 3 or 4 (2 Oz.)  bars a day is all the food I can handle and I
really like pemmican.  Has anyone tried my pemmican?( (see web site for full
shameless commercial pitch)

Ray Audette
Author "NeanderThin"
www.NeanderThin.com