From:
Adrienne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jul 2004 23:53:46 -0500
On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 21:35:27 -0500, Kristina Carlton
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>>I have several health problems I would like to resolve with diet and
>supplements. One, I still have a parasite called blastocystis hominis.

Re:  Parasite:  Get Extra Strength version of Wild Oil of Oregano from
North American Herb Company.  Start slowly with a single drop under the
tounge (it kind of burns) or in water.  Take on an empty stomach.  Work up
to three times per day 1-2 drops each dose. PLEASE TRY THIS.  IT IS
RELATIVELY INEXPENSIVE.

Re:  Acid/Alkaline/Blood PH:  I think you're worrying about too many
things. If you read 100 books on these theories -- you'll come up with 100
different theories.  Some say raw fruits and veggies are alkaline, while
meat is acidifying (this notion is popular amongst vegetarians); however,
Kristal's book on Metabolic Typing refutes this and claims that different
metabolic types react differently to the same food.  For example, a lemon
will acidify certain types, but alkalanize others.  In any event, your
biggest issues in my view are the parasite and pms.  Concentrate on those
first and then worry about tweaking your diet (if necessary) via these
other theories -- otherwise you will go bonkers trying to follow many
conflicting theories.

Re: PMS -- Emotional upsets:  You don't say if you are eating grains still
or are weaning off them -- if you are, try stopping them cold-turkey --
especially wheat products.  Do not eat any sweets ie candy, baked goods,
etc.  If you eating paleo(ish), you shouldn't be eating these things
anyway -- but some people follow paleo during the week and then "splurge"
on weekends or a few times a week.  If that's you -- stop it.  If you are
eating large amounts of dried fruit or fruit and even veggie juices -- stop
it.  If you have sore breasts -- eat one can of sardines packed in olive
oil or water per day.  I no longer believe in gobbling fish oil supplements
so I can't recommend them.  If you don't like the taste of sardines, learn
to or hold your nose while you eat them.  I can personally vouch for the
fact that one can of sardines EVERY day will make your breast tenderness
improve.  Add seaweed to your diet a few times per week -- toasted dulse or
kelp -- iodine deficiency can cause sore, lumpy boobs.  Also for sore
boobs -- STOP DAIRY.  Just try this -- some women are extra sensitive to
dairy and it's arguably not paleo anyway.  Coffee and cocoa also
purportedly create breast tenderness in some women but this is highly
individual and if you're strict paleo(ish), you probably aren't drinking
coffee or eating cocoa.
Anxiety:  Drink green tea, especially matcha. Matcha is in a powder form
and you take a bit in a bowl with hot water, wisk it until frothy and
enjoy.  It's contains the highest amount of L-theonine of all the teas and
this is something that should calm you. I know tea contains caffeine and
some out there will claim any beverage with caffeine can cause sore boobs,
pms and g-d knows what else, but I don't buy it.  Caffeine tolerance is
highly individual and green tea is low in caffeine plus contains l-
theanine, a relaxant.
Powdered Magnesium in Water:  I know supplements aren't paleo -- but this
is a very inexpensive supplement.  If you're going to try it, try 500mg per
day and see how you tolerate it.  If it's too much, you'll get loose
stools, and you'll know to cut back.
Meditate 20-30 minutes per day. Even 10 is better than nothing.
Get at least 30 minutes per day in the sunshine.
Exercise at least 30 minutes per day -- preferably more.  Don't kill
yourself at the gym -- but I believe something more strenuous than brisk
walking is in order given our generally sedentary lifestyle.

Get your thyroid function checked.  Low thyroid is extremely common in
women and frequently goes undiagnosed.  Even a slightly sluggish thyroid
will create hellish PMS symptoms.

Hope some of these things help.