Date:
Thu, 26 Feb 2004 11:34:38 -0800

When I first began taking kefir, I had this strange tingling, stinging,
almost burning sensation in my insides. I also had fatigue and sloppy,
smelly stools for several days after I started taking kefir.  I thought
it was the beginning of an allergic reaction to the milk.  I almost
stopped using it, but I kept drinking the kefir in fruit smoothies
because I liked it so much, I had a really bad candida problem and needed
the probiotics in kefir.
        Another list member told me she had exactly the same reaction, but when
she gave kefir to her family none of them had a reaction, even her tender
tummy hubby.  She said also that it stopped her immune compromised son's
chronic diarrhea.  (WOW!)
        Just this morning, I called my doctor's office & told them about my
experience with kefir -- how it relieved a chronic candida albicans and
constipation problem.  The nurse, who is also a colon therapist, was
fascinated.  She asked if I had a Herxheimer reaction.  "Now that you
mention it, yes, I did."  I told her.  I didn't associate the the above
symptoms with a Herxheimer reaction.  I thought it was a "bug" that
caused my symptoms.  Come to find out, those strange sensations signaled
the beginning of an actual war in my guts between lots of "bugs." And the
dumping of the foul, sloppy stools evidenced that the good guys had won
the war!  Hoorah!
        A Herxheimer reaction frequently occurs after a significant "die off" of
candida albicans and other unfavorable micro organisms.  Here is a
website that explains what to expect after you begin a good program that
conquers candida albicans overgrowth.  It's a commercial website so they
are, of course, trying to sell an expensive probiotic.  I snicker now
because my probiotic, kefir, is so cheap and more effective than any
commercial product I've ever tried. . . and I've tried lots of 'em!
http://www.flora-balance.com/whatotexpect.htm
        To learn more about kefir see this website:
http://users.chariot.net.au/~dna/kefirpage.html#what's-kefir
        Commercially prepared kefir starters are avialable at health food
stores.  If they don't have it in stock, ask them to order it for you.
Commercially prepared kefir starters lose their potency after a few
batches, so a new kefir starter packet must be used for each batch if you
want consistant results.  But stable, self propagating kefir grains are
available FREE through this website:
http://66.46.11.99/clarkson/Show/Clarkson/kefir/default.asp  You may have
to contact several listed sources before you get a response, but keep
trying.  It's worth it!
        I should add here, that I initially started out using Yogourmet kefir
starter and had the great results I've posted about (See: Candida and
unexpected solution to chronic constipation).  I believe that anyone who
wants to try kefir would do well with this product as I did.  You can
also buy prepared kefir milk at the health food store.  I got a headache
from it.  I don't know if it was because I can't tolerate the cow's milk
it was made from or because it had other possibly offensive ingredients
(FOS).  But I've had NO problems and great results with the goat milk
kefir.     ~Valerie in Tacoma

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!