Date:
Fri, 23 Apr 2004 12:04:27 -0700

I'll start with my personal favorites.  I have a whole library of
wonderful books that I've learned from, but I chose these because they
were particularly well written, easy to understand, well documented and
contain eye popping information that is not generally available from
other sources.  But, most of all, the information contained in these
three books have made a life changing impact on my overall well being.
(1) WHY STOMACH ACID IS GOOD FOR YOU by Jonathan Wright MD.  This book
answered SO many questions for me & helped me cure my acid reflux
problem.  It explains the vital role of stomach acid in not only the
digestive system, but overall nutrition.  It explains how to supplement
stomach acid when deficient.  This book also explains how harmful acid
blocking medications are.
(2) NOURISHING TRADITIONS by Sally Fallon.  Eye opening information on
what REAL nutrition is all about.
(3) ADRENAL FATIGUE: THE 21ST CENTURY STRESS SYNDROME by Dr. James L.
Wilson.  This book also answered so many of my pressing questions about
my health issues and offered real, practical solutions.  A must read for
anyone who is chronically ill or fatigued.  This book tells my story!
(This is NOT the same Dr. Wilson who identified the thyroid disorder
known as Wilson's syndrome.)
(4) Since this is MY summary, I'm going to take unfair advantage and list
one more important book, BREAKING THE VICIOUS CYCLE by Elaine Gottshall.
This specific carbohydrate diet (SCD) described in this book helped me
recover from a serious case of eosinophilic gastroenteritis 2 1/2 years
ago.  ~Valerie in Tacoma

Now for the others.  I capitalized all the book titles.  [As usual my
obnoxious comments are in brackets.]
------------------
the number one is NOURISHING TRADITIONS by sally fallon (and mary enig).
it's about the right way to prepare food for proper health and nutrition,
and about proper nutrition in general. the first half is research and
nutritional education, the second half is recipes that incorporate all
the knowledge.

i'd repeat that one three times! :) it's really critical. -katja
---------------
My favorite self-help book is THE CHRONIC ILLNEDD WORKBOOK (Strategies
and Solutions for Taking Back Your Life) by Patricia A. Fennell, MSW,
CSW-R. Besides celiac disease, I have three other (dreaded!) autoimmune
diseases, caused in part, I believe, by long-undiagnosed CD.  My
rheumatologist, who
recommended the book to me, uses it in his practice.  The author
discusses our cultural context of chronic illness, uses a four-phase
model to analyze the "chronic illness journey", talks about getting
appropriate medical help, dealing with family and all kinds of other
stuff.  My doc asked me to review several self-help books for arthritis
specifically, and chronic illness in general.  I could not relate to the
approaches many took.  This book speaks to me!  Susan in Newcastle
-----------------
The 3 books I found to be the most helpful in our arduous journey through
15 different doctors on the road to health with our daughter are not
self-help exactly but invaluable nevertheless:

LANGE'S CURRENT MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS AND TREATMENT, edited by Tierney,
McPhee, and
Papadakis
THE ESSENTIAL GUIDE TO PRESCRIPTION DRUGS by James Rybacki,Pharm.D.
DORLANDS'S ILLUSTRATED MEDICAL DICTIONARY
        Jeff Trager and Kaylee Nilan
[I also have Lange's, a nurse's prescription guide and a medical
dictionary.  These are all very helpful and I use them often.  Lange's is
especially good to have on hand when you're dealing with MDs wanting to
do this & that procedure.  I've used information from Lange's to confront
my doctors when they've wanted to do certain treatments on me that I
didn't really want done a certain way.  I can show them that there are
other conventional doctors treating the same problems using different,
sometimes less ardous methods so I can then confidently request it be
done MY way.]
-------------------
"EATING ALIVE" by Dr. Matsen is a great book.  He also wrote "EATING
ALIVE II" which I haven't read. . .  Seems I lent it out and so am unable
to reference it.  I hate to misquote.  I bought it about fifteen years
ago.  He has a section with recipes which I found very useful.  Though I
can't remember much about the book, I still use the recipes today.
Processed foods are eliminated.  Mayonnaise is homemade etc.  His
explanations of how the body works and the functions of the different
organs are easy to understand and often diagrammed.  He uses a whole body
approach, repairing one system at a time until the body is at optimum
health.  He is a proponent
of the belief that mercury-containing vaccinations and fillings are
responsible for many of the population's mystery illnesses as well as
many childhood afflictions.     Carolyn
---------------
I'm less enthusiastic than you about self-help medical books -- but I
think there are some that are very good.  I think lots of times a
physician will try to make a point, and in so doing will reiterate the
same information over and over to fill up pages, or else cite only
studies biased in favor of their point-of-view.

BUT, that said, I do recommend pretty much anything by Isadore Rosenfeld:
 http://topics.practical.org/browse/Isadore_Rosenfeld

Dr. Rosenfelt is very well rounded physician, who tries to look at all
sides and present a point-of-view that will often take in both
traditional and non-traditional medicine.  He's smart, and also most of
his books are enjoyable reads.  Ironically, I don't know how "up" on CD
he is, as I've not read one of his books since I realized this
is what I suffer from.   -Suzanne
------------------
"WHEAT-FREE, WORRY-FREE: THE ART OF HAPPY, HEALTHY GLUTEN-FREE LIVING"
Danna Korn
"THE GLUTEN FREE GOURMET" by Bette Hagman
I coudn't have made it without these.  Ann
----------------
I like "BREAKING THE VICIOUS CYCLE" by Elaine Gottschall.
It really explains the digestive process, and how to get over IBS and
they also include celiac disease here.

"THE COMPLETE BOOK OF ENZYME THERAPY" by Dr. Anthony Cichoke is really
helpful -- talks about how enzymes help all kinds of body systems.

"THE ANTI-AGING ZONE" by Barry Sears, PhD.  Is full of information about
the body and how / what to eat and why.

I, like you, find these books have lots more information than any doctor
I've been to.

[I have also benefitted from Elaine's book.  Couldn't have recovered from
eosinophilic gastroenteritis without it.]
---------------
IT'S MY OVARIES, STUPID,  by DR....?????

DANGEROUS GRAINS

lots of GF books which everyone else will also mention...
-------------
 I just finished "THE ANATOMY OF HOPE" by Dr. Jerome Groopman, Harvard
Medical School professor, oncologist, and New Yorker staff writer. It
deals with how people prevail in the face of illness - what part hope
plays in getting better.  Dr. Groopman is an excellent writer, and I
really enjoyed the book. - Shirley
---------------
I also think books can be extremely helpful.  These are my favorites:
1. THE AUTOIMMUNE CONNECTION, ESSENTIAL INFORMATION FOR WOMEN ON
DIAGNOSIS, TREATMENT, AND GETTING ON WITH YOUR LIFE - by Rita Baron-Faust
& Jill P. Buyon, M.D.
        I was diagnosed with autoimmune hepatitis about a year ago and got this
book then - it has lots of great info on all sorts of autoimmune problems
including celiac disease (I was diagnosed this past Oct).  I've
recommended it to my doctors - I think it should be required reading for
them. Obviously it's geared towards women and discusses fertility and
menopause issues, but I also think it would be helpful for men with
autoimmune problems.

2. SPORTS NUTRITION GUIDEBOOK, EATING TO FUEL YOUR ACTIVE LIFESTYLE - by
Nancy Clarke
        I do some competitive racewalking and got this book before I knew of any
autoimmune problems.  It has lots of good gluten-free recipes and others
that could easily be converted.  It also has lots of good info for
athletes and active people.

3. AGAINST THE GRAIN - by Jax Peters Lowell
        I got this book after my cd diagnosis and loved it.  It was funny and
reassuring.  Laura
-------------------
THE SCHWARZBEIN PRINCIPLE II by Dr. Diana Schwarzbein
THE SEXY YEARS by Suzanne Somers
HANDS OF LIGHT by Barbara Brennan
--------------------
FEED YOUR BODY RIGHT, Dr. Lendon Smith (The blood pressure chapter is
where I learned the taste tests for Mg, etc, and he also talks about
sniffing supplements.  It really revolutionized our approach to foods and
supplements, so now we think about what we need right now, not what some
formula says that every one needs every day.  We are individuals, and we
change all the time.)

FOLK MEDICINE, Dr. Jarvis (Apple cider vinegar and Lugols solution, great
things to know how to use!)

DEPRESSION FREE, NATURALLY  by Joan Larson  (at least partly solved my
hubby's "nerves" and certainly fixed his poor night vision and his smelly
feet!)  Donna Hudson

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!