From:
John Kemp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Mar 2004 15:05:12 -0500
Byron,

The ideal setup in a classroom is to have one connection to the Internet via
a gateway. You only need one outside IP address from an ISP to accomplish
this set up. What you use for the gateway is up to you and your school
administrators. It could be a router or a server. Between the gateway and
the other PC's, you only need one switch that has enough ports to handle the
classroom (usually a 24 port switch). I recommend at least a 100 Mbps
capable switch (again, usually 10/100 but, look toward the future of Giabit
ethernet) either way - the switch and the NIC cards in the PCs will
determine the connection speeds of the PCs.

Switches eliminate collison domains and, therefore, offer better performance
in the classroom environment. The "private" IP's that you are using are
fine - you can use static private IP's for the student computer's and that
will NOT create any additional costs (you can also have a server hand-out
dynamic "private" IP's (using DHCP) it doesn't make a difference). Don't
forget that you can also use a network capable printer plugged into one of
the ports of the switch and all PC's configured to use the printer can print
to it (in this case, you would definitely want the printer to have a static
"private" IP address).

Private IP addresses stay on the inside of the network and are not permitted
to traverse outside of you network. All private IP's will be translated to
the one outside IP address (received from you ISP) using Network Address
Translation (NAT) through the gateway. It will appear as if each student has
their own connection to the Internet.

HTH...John