From:
Joy Mendez <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joy Mendez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Feb 2004 11:13:17 -0500

My son's school is coming to our house next week for, among other reasons, a
gluten-free cooking demonstration.  It is a very small school with only 11
kids K-8.  The teacher has been using cooking exercises to teach the kids a
little math and chemistry, and she is intrigued by the thought of baking
without wheat.

What I am looking for is a kid-friendly recipe that you have repeatedly made
with success and that non-Celiacs have enjoyed.  I prefer not to use a mix
this since all the flours are already combined.  It could be a quick
bread/muffin or cookie recipe (bread takes too long altho' I may have a
freshly made loaf available for them to sample).  What I fear is that we
make something that most of the kids dislike so my son feels badly when
someone says, "Yuck."  Of course, like most parents, I have relied on baked
goods that contain no flour when having to provide snacks for a whole group
(you know, like Rice Krispie-type treats made with GF cereals), but this
time the point is to use the flours we have available.  I  prefer using a
flour combination that includes sorghum or quinoa flours, if possible.  Any
suggestions would be most appreciated.

Joy in Arizona