From:
Diane Hosek <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Diane Hosek <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Feb 2004 12:05:03 -0500

I'd love to hear from the list:  what were the foods, if any, that you noticed were bothering you before diagnosis?

This was my experience:  many years ago I stopped eating rye bread because it caused a strange, tired feeling.  (Too bad I had never heard of CD in 1978).  Later, I noticed that I often felt tired after eating cereal.  Even after it occurred to me (in 2000) that I may have a "wheat allergy", my reaction to cereal was confusing, because it happened after corn and rice cereal too.

Now looking back at this, I realize that the main thing I was able to detect was the gluten from malt flavoring (in cereal) and rye.  When I finally became very sick, the reaction to wheat started to be noticeable.  It seems to me that the wheat reaction through the years was much more subtle and insidious.  I did have "irritable bowel syndrome" since 1982, but strangely never connected this to food.  What was your experience?

Plus, did anyone ASK to be tested for CD based on your reaction to foods; or did you report an odd reaction to foods which prompted a test?

I'll summarize.
Diane Hosek