Date:
Sat, 10 Apr 2004 22:34:40 EDT

Thanks very much to everyone who responded to my questions about Washington
DC. What a great thing it is for some many people to respond!  Below is a
summary of restaurants, many of which sound like they do not have a gf menu but can
accomodate the diet.
Amy, Boston

Many people recommended the Austin Grill - Mexican,5 locations around DC, has
a gluten free menu.
www.austingrill.com
Chili is the specialty at the Austin Grill with Texas music playing in the
background. Other house specialties include quesadillas with chorizo and of
course the margaritas.

      Address: 2404 Wisconsin Avenue, NW
      Washington, DC 20007
      Telephone: 202-337-8080
      Category: Southwestern, Bar
      Open: MON 11:30 am-10:30 pm.
      TUE-THU 11:30 am-11 pm.
      FRI 11:30 am-12 am.
      SAT 11 am-12 am.
      SUN 11 am-10:30 pm.
      Meals Served: Brunch. Lunch. Dinner.
      Cost: Inexpensive
      Other Info: Full Bar on Site.

Chef Geoff - they have two locations in DC - no GF menu, but they have
always been very accomodating and I have never had any problems.

Go to the local support group website- www.dcceliacs.com

Cafe Atlantico- expensive
Restaurant Nora- expensive
Jandara- Thai
Tara Thai
Well Dressed Burrito- open for lunch only
Jaleo- Spanish

Also, I'm told that the Melting Pot in DC (though not the one in Maryland)
will make you a GF fondue if you call ahead of time.

Chadwicks Restaurant in Friendship Heights, DC has a
staff that will go out of its way to make sure that nothing you eat has
gluten in it.

Carlyle Grand Cafe in Shirlington, VA.

La Colline on NJ near Union Station understands GF and Montmartre on 7th
above PA Ave SE understands.

 Mike's American Grill

Try going to www.goodhealthpublishing.com for a list of 59 national/regional
restaurants and their lists of gluten/wheat free items. There's also a
gluten free dining card that can be presented to restaurant personnel to
ease the ordering process.

The CLarendon area (in alrington, on the MEtro) has a lot of Vietnamese
places.  We love Cafe Dalat, which is just
across the street from the metro stop.  It is very unassuming place, with
delicious cheap food, and almost everything on the menu is gf....we avoid
the dishes with "soft noodles".  For Thai food a great place is Ringcome in
Arlington, on Columbia Pike.  Or we have a nice local chain called Tara
Thai.