From:
Rob Field <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rob Field <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Apr 2004 00:15:21 -0400

Hi!
Sorry it took so long for me to summarize but we just got back from our vacation so I will be able to add my own recommendations as well. Truth be told I had more listmates asking me to summarize than I did actual responses to my question. Thank you all very much for your input. There were several listmates who recommended the Austin Grill in Washington DC; they are a Mexican restaurant that has a g/f menu. We had a very good lunch there off the g/f menu. In addition to Mexican tacos, enchiladas and such, they had an excellent steak and chicken dinner and have hamburger on the menu as well. Also in Washington and for those of you who like seafood we had a very good though somewhat pricey dinner at Legal Seafood. The fish is extremely fresh, and they will cook it for you any way you like. The wait person gave us more information on fish bacteria and contaminants than I personally needed to know but the service was still good. Our favorite restaurant experience was at the District Chop House which is actually a brewery. The waitress was most helpful, the salads were good, they had a varied menu. My daughter loved her porterhouse, mashed potatoes and veggies and the rack of lamb was very good. Moving on to Williamsburg, VA, the restaurants were mostly very crowded when we went there; we wound up on one occasion again finding ourselves at the Outback Steakhouse.  If anyone is going to Busch Gardens, the bbq at Trappers Cafeteria in New France was surprisingly delicious. In addition to bbq they have fish and vegetarian items - just avoid the obvious gluten containing items. Avoid  the Red, White and Blue BBQ restaurant mostly because of the bad food. Here's wishing you all a great time in Washington and Williamsburg!
Here is the summary of the information I received from others:

 One person recommended checking out the www.dcceliacs.com web site.

From Richard:
Austin Grill (Tex-Mex) actually has a separate gluten-free menu.  Ask the
manager for it.  They have two or three locations.
The Melting Pot -- a fondue restaurant -- in DC (not the one in Maryland)
will make you a gf fondue if you call ahead.
Chadwick's in Friendship Heights, DC is very caring and understanding, as is
Yasuku Japanese restaurant in Tenley Circle.  Oceanaire (expensive sea food)
will see to it that your meal is gf if you make sure the waiter understands.

From Betsy:
I  found good information in the Archives for Washington, DC, area.
http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/celiac.html  Nora's is my
favorite.  I don't eat out a lot when I visit the area as I am with
family. There is an active support group in the area.  They posted
information recently about a regional meeting in Northern Virginia.

From Joan:
My husband and I (the celiac) had 2 great meals at the Trellis Restaurant (Williamsburg)
last November. I believe they have a website.

From Pam:
I don't have any info on Williamsburg, but in the DC area, there are
restaurants galore.  Besides the 'fast food' chains - I have attached the
current survey about restaurants from the Washington area support group.
Also, Ruby Tues. has a mountain chicken that is GF, Texas Roadhouse are in
the area.

Thanks again everyone for all of your help!

Rob Field