NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Christine Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Aug 2004 22:50:05 -0700
Hello Friends in Milk Allergy,
Regarding the conversation about lactose intolerance and lactose content in
yogurt and other foods, here's my two cents:
Milk allergy and lactose intolerance are two distinct conditions that
occasionally overlap.  Even when they overlap, they are not the same thing.
When I was diagnosed as milk allergic, I can't even tell you how many people
said, "Oh, you're lactose intolerant," or "Oh, can you take that lactaid
pill or whatever".  That seemed irrelevant to me and I'm not even very
educated about lactose intolerance because it's not my condition.
Usually when I said, "If I eat dairy products, I cough," that ended the
discussion.  ; )
So here is something else to throw into the mix:  I am interested in talking
with others who have mild milk allergy or those who experience respiratory
symptoms due to milk products, without anaphyaxis.  I am not anaphylactic to
dairy, but do have allergic symptoms which have come and gone over time.
Currently I can eat lowfat yogurt and cheddar cheese without a problem, but
parmesan cheese and certain ice creams will cause the 20-30 minute coughing
and congestion episode which I have learned to associate with my milk
allergy.
In February, I tested negative to skin test for milk allergy, so my Dr. said
I could eat whatever I want.  I did for a while, and now certain foods are
getting to me.  I'm confused and so is she.  She has brought up an
alternative which is some sort of "reflex" (not reflux) condition, with
"cold" or "sharp" tastes/ foods acting as triggers.  She has prescribed an
inhaler for me to try for this.  (?)
I know many people on this list have tested negative for milk allergy,
whether skin or blood tests.  How have you come up with a plan when your
life evidence contradicts what you see at the doctor's office?  I jokingly
offered to bring in my parmesan, and she not jokingly said we could skin
test it.  Has anyone done anything like this?  (taken cheese or ice cream to
your doctor?)
It is not a life/ death issue for me (thank goodness), but is a fairly
important lifestyle issue.  If I'm truly dairy allergic, I would prefer a
milk avoidance diet.  I did this for 6-8 months.
Can anyone relate?
Thanks,
Christy
Confused in Seattle