From:
shawn klein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 May 2004 11:54:02 -0700
Hi John, it's for interlinking repeaters, and a tv,
they both share that part of the band. The 424 and 425
megahertz slices, and 429 and 430 are used for remote
linking and control of repeaters, and 421.25 is the
video input for cable ready chanel 57, so most a tv
repeaters use that as an output. 425.75 is a tv audio.
You might see link radios as close as 425.9 to that,
and other spots in the t.v. signal where there's room.
Often links will have inputs on 424-425 and outputs on
429-430 or vice versa. Ya know, those link radios
don't have their own i.d.s, and they weren't pl'd
either, well I think some were, some weren't. Well
this is from about 7 years ago in Phoenix. I've never
picked up any link radios out here, and probably it's
not used so much in many areas anymore because they
can just use the Internet, but not every repeater site
has an internet connection, so most likely repeater
owners are using these frequencies to link their
repeaters with echolink or IRLP. That's a good
practice, because it keeps all the repeater i.d's off
the link. It would get old listening to a conference
if every repeater put it's i.d's on the system. That's
a big no no with IRLP I understand, it's tollerated on
echolink to a point, but....If you read many threads
on the echolink yahoo group, you'll hear all about it.