From:
c borgen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 28 Feb 2004 21:14:23 -0700

Thanks to the many folks who sent in suggestions for gf
products in the U.K.  The main concern expressed was that
European guidelines allow for some wheat/wheat starch in the
products.  However there is information presented on
www.celiac.com regarding "Codex Alimentarius Wheat Starch
and the Gluten-Free Diet & Celiac Disease" which seems to
indicate that wheat starch adhering to the Codex standards
is well tolerated by celiacs.  As always, caution must be
exercised when purchasing any product for consumption.  That
being said, here is the summary:

...some supermarkets in UK (eg Tesco, Sainsbury's and Asda)
have a 'Free from' section where a variety of own brand and
other GF items can be found.  I like Bercolli Croissants,
Big break chocolate bar, Kallo chocolate rice cakes,  Salute
pasta (all from Asda) and Baker's Delight cake bars, Dietary
Specialities multigrain loaf, vanilla wafers, sweet
breakfast rolls, brown bread mix in Tesco.  Also in Tesco
Eat natural breakfast and bars,Mrs Crimble's macaroons,
Trufree custard creams. Sainsbury's GF biscuits are very
nice.  Health Food shops also stock GF items.

If you post on the (mainlyUK ) GF message board I expect you
will get a lot more suggestions.
http://members2.boardhost.com/glutenfree/
as they have been going strong for 35 years.  The stores
have GF selections,f fresh each day apple pies cakes bread
etc.
--------
I just returned from a few days in England. I stayed with
friends and visited TESCO and ASDA/Super Wal-Mart. The
selection of GF items was incredible. I brought home many
items from the Tesco "Free From" section.  You asked for
some recommendations--One of my favorites is the 3 white
petits pains-3 hero-type rolls, made by Dietary Specials.
They come in a vacuum sealed pack and are only 123 calories
each. From Asda/Wal-Mart, I bought Procelli brand chocolate
rolls. A listmember talked about Procelli brand not too long
ago, so it was fresh in my memory. Well, the chocolate rolls
are superb (400+ calories each, but superb). They taste just
like, as far as I remember, the pain au chocolate that the
French patisserie near me makes. I also picked up some
Procelli ciabatta rolls that I haven't opened yet, but if
they are anything like the chocolate rolls, look out (and
many fewer calories)!  I came home with a suitcase full. I
picked up no-boil lasagne noodles, Dietary Specials creme
filled vanilla wafers, lots of the rolls, xanthan gum and I
can't remember what else. I do see some of these other items
in stores here, but the prices are much higher here.  I hope
your friend is able to get to Tesco. The rolls are really
great. For the first time in 6 1/2 years, I really enjoyed a
hero (aka hoagie, sub, wedge, etc--I'm from Long Island, NY
and we call it a hero <g>)! I can't wait until my next trip
to Mr. Ritt's in Philadelphia to take one to the Philly
Cheesesteak shop.
-----------
Although I don't reside in the UK, I just came back last
night from a business trip in the UK and found their grocery
products to be very celiac friendly!  For example, on the
potato chips they say "suitable for coeliacs"!  Tell your
friend to go into Tescos, which is a supermarket over
there.  They have a section next to their Organic items with
many Gluten-Free items.  They even have Tesco branded GF
items.  I found in Tesco, a brand called "Brand Delight",
and they have these blueberry cake bars which are really
good.  I have placed the links for some of the items I had
while I was over there, and I bought a bunch home.  Plus
like I said Tesco has their own GF branded items.

http://www.bakers-delight.co.uk/bakers_delight/gluten.html

http://www.kallofoods.com/main.asp?page=ricecakes - These
are chocolate covered rice cakes, yummy, yummy!
------------
Sainsbury's have an own brand range called Freefrom which
contains GF & DF products - most are both but it is clearly
labelled on a silver bar on the back what each product is

We have stores in most of the UK - you can find stores at
http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/storelocator/

There's a bit about the range on the website. Go to
http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/healthyeating/
select the Healthy Eating tab, then click on the Freefrom
icon.

The products are grouped together with other sorts of things
that you might find in a Health Food shop, natural foods,
sports drinks, aromatherapy etc... The Freefrom range has
very distinctive packaging - custard yellow with dark red
printing. There is pasta, pasta sauces, pizza bases, steamed
puddings (chocolate & jam), sliced white bread (probably the
best in the UK), fruit cake slices, cake bars (like muffin
bars), cookies, shortbread, potato chips (potato crisps over
here!).  There are also frozen products, but they wouldn't
travel.