From:
Aggi-Rose Reddin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Aggi-Rose Reddin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Aug 2004 10:24:49 -0500

Some of you may recall my postings about cross-contamination questions re
tamari sauce, Krispy Rice cereal & marshmallows. Well, it turns out the
problem may not have been cross-contamination but rather one of delayed IgG
reactions to these products, along with a slew of other things my son was
eating, having gone GF this winter [biopsy confirmed CD]. He was not
getting better even though we were being vigilant about GF & I had noticed
from other listers that other food intolerances seem to be an issue for
some of you, so arranged for him to have the IgG tests done through our
local naturopath.

The following all came back as 3+ or 2+, so we've taken them out of his
diet, at least for now: corn, rice, soy, casein, peanuts, grapes, cabbage,
string beans, pinto beans, tomato, garlic & lentils. He's basically down to
eating fruits & meat, along with carrots, broccoli, peas & potatoes [though
my mother & I both have IgE reactions to potatoes so I'm limiting that a
bit in hopes of his avoiding developing an allergy to potatoes as well].

The blessing in all of this is that after 4 years of misery, he is now
having some days when he feels much better! The difficulty is in trying to
find enough foods he can eat so that he is not constantly hungry and so
that his nutritional needs can be met. He's recently turned 13, he's 5'10"
tall but only weighs 103 1/2 lbs. It's also been a challenge to avoid
unintentional exposures - I thought gluten was hard enough to avoid, but
corn seems just as bad! We have found Kinnikinnick's Grain Free bread a
salvation, but I could really use some guidance from others with similar
intolerances as to how you cope, and recipes or suggestions, keeping in
mind this is an adolescent we are dealing with!!!

Also, is anyone aware of studies done on the issue of other food
intolerances among people with CD? Thankfully, our GP is very supportive
[she sees the difference in how my son is doing] but the pediatrician &
gastro doc are not convinced that people with CD can have similar symptoms
caused by other foods.

Finally, for those of you with other food intolerances, have you been able
to successfully reintroduce at least some of these foods back into your
diet, and if so, after how much time abstaining?

My apologies for the long post, but I'm hoping the subject heading is clear
enough that those not interested will simply hit delete:-)  Thanks in
advance for your help, and I will summarize. Aggi-Rose