From:
Marilyn Harris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Mar 2004 08:56:06 -0500
>Do you have a URL that shows the comparable variables ?

Hi Oliva;

Here's a URL that explains and gives a few conversion equations - although
it doesn't appear to be very simple process. It gives different factors for
different items such as glucose (38) and triglycerides (89) since it is
dependent on the molecular weight of the substance. MMOL is molecular count
which is used by most of the world (including Canada) while the US uses
mg/dl (weight).

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/diabetes/faq/part1/section-9.html

Hi Hilary;

>triglycerides have come down. When your triglycerides go down, the
>small-dense fraction of your LDL is also likely to go down (even while
>the total LDL stays up), which is great.

This is good to know.

>of that. Has he tested CRP?

Actually yes (from my request) although he didn't see the test as a good
indicator of heart disease. The results last October were:

CRP  1.07   Normal range is 0.80-8.00

which seems to be good. (To me it seems that a low result would indicate, or
at least correlate with, good health of the CV system, but a high result not
necessarily, since the result could be caused by inflammation in the body
not related to CVD). I think that is the problem with the CRP test, isn't it?

>  Check out the website of the Berkeley Heart Lab. They do all these
>tests, and your doctor can send them a blood sample.

Unfortunately they are in the US while I live in Canada and I don't think
he'd do that especially since I am not in critical condition. In fact he
told me not to worry about all of this. (Then why does he want me to take
statins?!).

He also mentioned getting hold of a certain Chinese rice that he says can
lowe cholesterol. I did a search on the internet and came up with  red yeast
rice - which is some sort of growth on rice and contains naturally-occurring
statins. He seems to love statin!

However a guy at work said that it would be a good idea to take a stain for
a short period of time since it would arrest further development of arterial
damage, which he said, was somewhat irreversible.

Is that true that it is irreversible? If so, then I would agree with him
(the guy at work).

>  You could also get a copy of Uffe Ravnskov's book "The Cholesterol
>Myths". If your doctor argues that the Framingham heart study proves the
>4% risk he quoted, you could ask him what the "p value" is, and to
>explain what it means.

Thanks for the suggestion, I shall follow up on this. I am seeing the doctor
again and hopefully, if I remember, will ask him about the "P value".

>  Also, I'm curious why only one egg and six hard candies. I would
>reverse those!

The hard candies because I love sweets and they are too easily accessible
(and free) at work. The eggs have been reduced becaue of the high
cholesterol count of them and I am trying to reduce my blood cholesterol
back to within a normal range. I would love to eat a ton of them a day but
cannot at least for now. When (and if!) my chol is back to normal then I
will slowly re-introduce them and see what happens.

Isn't the jury still out on whether blood chol. causes atheriosclerosis?

Sugar raises triglycerides and small-dense LDL. And eggs
>are all-good. Did the doctor tell you to limit eggs because of their
>cholesterol? If so, I thought everyone was aware these days that dietary
>cholesterol content was irrelevant.

Something is wrong with my system in that is not ridding itself of excess
cholesterol though, so I have to work on the diet to reverse that.

By the way, last night I bought some $30 buck Norwegian Cod Liver Oil
(pharmaceutical grade) in bottle form and will start taking a spoonful a
day. My doctor told me that (which I wellknow of course) that fish and fish
oils are good.

>Vermont

Such a beautiful State with the cutest little capital (Montpelier; city of
bookstores and excellent food)!

Marilyn