From:
Hilary McClure <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Mar 2004 06:49:42 -0500
Hi Marilyn,
  I don't know whether you should worry about high cholesterol per se,
since it doesn't correlate with heart disease. Especially if your
triglycerides have come down. When your triglycerides go down, the
small-dense fraction of your LDL is also likely to go down (even while
the total LDL stays up), which is great. Also, I see your HDL went up,
which can be good. As I understand it, neither total cholesterol, nor
even total LDL cholesterol, are strongly correlated (or even weakly)
with heart disease. Small-dense LDL may actually be correlated, and
inflammation markers such as CRP, but the test he did doesn't show any
of that. Has he tested CRP? Homocysteine? Fibrinogen? Ferritin? Lp(a)?
I'll bet he hasn't tested any of those, and he wants to put you on
statins which have serious side effects (as well as serious $),
including one that no-one seems to be acknowledging: cancer.
  Check out the website of the Berkeley Heart Lab. They do all these
tests, and your doctor can send them a blood sample. And if he won't do
that, then I'd find a new doctor.
  You could also get a copy of Uffe Ravnskov's book "The Cholesterol
Myths". If your doctor argues that the Framingham heart study proves the
4% risk he quoted, you could ask him what the "p value" is, and to
explain what it means.
  Also, I'm curious why only one egg and six hard candies. I would
reverse those! Sugar raises triglycerides and small-dense LDL. And eggs
are all-good. Did the doctor tell you to limit eggs because of their
cholesterol? If so, I thought everyone was aware these days that dietary
cholesterol content was irrelevant.
regards,
Hilary McClure
Danville, Vermont