ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 18 Jan 2004 12:54:37 -0600
Chris,

Your question is based on a foundation of presupposing that God's love for
us is as we might have for others in this world, based upon our actions. A
conditional love, when his is unconditional. John 3:16 of course says that
"God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, and whose ever
believes in him, shall not parish but have eternal life". Here perhaps is
something to consider. Can God love us, yet discipline us? Yes because that
is what is necessary to show love just as much as giving a hug in a time of
need. Can God love us yet allow bad things to happen to us? Yes there to
because his word is subject to him who spoke it, himself who cannot lie,
and is truth, and even though he loves us, we can endure things that cause
us to pay punishment for our actions. David, a man after God's own heart,
chose to carry out adultery with Bathsheba, and they both paid a price that
was spoken specifically to their situation even, so how much more will we
have need to endure his word concerning malice, disobedience, murderers,
hater's of parents, and all the rest of the things listed in his word.
Jesus said that if we lust after a woman, we've as much completed the act,
if we have hate of great proportion, we might as well committed the murder
in God's eyes. As for being furious with God, we do at times, have a lack
of understanding regarding things in our life, yet he is not responsible
for that, and shaking our fists at God in anger to me would be a dangerous
thing. It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God the
word says. Anger comes from fear and/or selfishness no matter how you chop
it up, and yet we find ourselves in it from time to time. It is when we
feel angry, that we ought let that be the alarm to cause us to look at
where we are  fearful or selfish. He loves us no matter what, but that is
why I see, in  my spirit or perhaps just my mind's eye, Jesus with a tear
running down his face knowing that some of his people will parish, despite
the great love he has for them, not to mention the price he has paid for
them and all they need do is grasp on  to salvation and continue to live
righteous after that. We are held accountable for our knowledge of the
word, and we can choose to turn our heads in what ever label we decide to
pin to it, but if we know what is right, and do it not, we shall be held
accountable for it one day.

Liken it to a child you care for, and they perhaps are misbehaving some,
you tell them that if they continue, they will get a spanking, or a time
out or whatever. Despite their forewarning, they continue their
misbehaving. That in turn puts the ball in our court to either carry out
your word, or become a liar. Well God cannot lie so his word stands. And
just like you would feel bad in the midst of a spanking, time out or your
choice of punishment, God does too.

Brad