ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 18 Jan 2004 13:06:14 -0600
Helen,

You wrote...

>Is the marriage between unbelievers in Christ still a union of man, woman,
>and God?

Unless God is in the hearts of the two, I don't believe so. There were
undoubtedly many people married under a false god, and that too is not more
a holy union than simply using a church to marry with Christ absent from
their hearts, in fact, that might even be worse come to think of it.

You also wrote...
>And do you believe that drugs, alcohol, and abusive behaviour are not
>reasons for divorce, even in a marriage that is that union?

Well I suppose technically, when Jesus said what god has joined, let no man
put asunder, technically if he was not part of the ceremony or part of the
union, then it is beyond my reasoning and not for me to judge. I suppose
not, but if the two, or even one, has come to the acknowledge of Christ,
then I believe, myself, that they are to try to work it out. As I mentioned
infidelity was mentioned by Jesus as a possible reason to divorce, and in
just about any drug, alcohol, or abusive situation, you'll find an
infidelity case I'd guess. Good questions. That is just my view, and
interpretation of the word concerning the matter. I can only hope it lines
up with the truth, but I'm no judge to determine that.

brad