ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 14 Dec 2003 11:04:12 -0500
Hey, Matt

I would have said refuse the money, too, a while back.  But then I heard
Joni Eareckson Tada (famous Christian quadriplegic artist, author, singer
and lecturer) explain what happens when folks seek to help her.  At first
she felt guilty but then she realized that by refusing their help she was
denying them the ability to be blessed.  Think about it.  JESUS told folks
to bless other folks, especially those who couldn't repay the favor.  What
if everyone who was offered that help said "No!  Go away.  I don't need your
charity."  Even if they said it in a kind way, they are still denying the
other person an opportunity to be blessed.

So now I say, hey, if they want to be a blessing to you, let them.  Even use
it as an opportunity to say "Hey, you know, this reminds me of JESUS."  What
a blessing it would make to anyone's day to be told they are acting as JESUS
would, even if they are a nonbeliever or another faith.

So I think you were right in allowing this woman to be a blessing to you and
to open her life up to a blessing from the LORD.

PS  I think the baby was onto something by telling you not to listen to
headphones while you're babysitting.  Anything that distracts you, even for
a little second, from a baby is a no no.  I know from helping to raise a
herd of nieces and nephews it only takes a second for anyone, blind or
sighted, to take focus off the baby and tragedy is the result.  I won't even
answer the phone when babysitting.  Call me overprotective, but all of my
nieces and nephews survived my care.  Smile.  Tom Sullivan, the blind singer
and song writer wrote about this and included it in his movie "If You Could
See What I Hear."  He was babysitting his new baby, got distracted for a
second, and the baby fell in the pool and almost died.  Not worth the risk,
even to listen to the Word of GOD I think JESUS would tell you.

Paul