ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sat, 13 Dec 2003 22:32:11 -0600
It's interesting to note the changes in my life however slight since I have
adopted a calmer attitude and more of a christian approach to situations.
We are an adorable little disabled couple.  hahahahahah
Well, anyway, people respond nicely to us none the less.
We do have to struggle sometimes to do things which other people take for
granted, as do all folks with disabilities from time to time.
Add to this the stress and demands of parenting a small child and sometimes
we can look down right worn out and poor.
The baby is no excuse as we have had what I am going to tell you about
happen to us before and we didn't even have a baby and indeed did not live
in as nice a town.
We had a woman walk up to us at the store recently and offer us money.
In the past I would have refused the money flattly and been upset over it
for days to come.  This time, we still refused the money but I also had the
woman come back and I explained that we were both disabled and that we
either biked or walked most everywhere we went and that this was why we
looked so rung out sometimes.
I told her that we were financially secure and that the choices we made for
the sake of our own independance sometimes meant that we worked a little
harder to do some things.
She excepted this but still asked that we take the money and do something
for the baby.
I accepted that and told her that we would be happy to do that.
Mind you it was just 5 dollars so I knew her family would not go without for
this kind deed she felt she should do.  Had it been a large amount I surely
would have refused the money.
It made her feel good and in the end we felt ok about it as well.
Some would get very defencive and even rude over something like this and I
was their in the past but now I have a better grasp and attitude.
Thank god for friendly and sweet people who go out of there way to show
kindness to strangers.
The woman had seen us before at a comunity function so this was not a first
time meeting, but it was the first time we had spoken at length.
BTW, Kate does not like the new talking bible.
I was here alone with her today as Terri went christmas shopping with her
mother and grandmother and when I had the chance I was sticking the
earphones in and listening.
Well, Kate could tell when I wasn't focusing full attention on her and she
would come and climb up on my legs and want to be held or what have you.
Tipicle kiddo stuff.

Take Care,

Matt