VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Nelson Blachman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nelson Blachman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Nov 2003 22:30:55 -0800
  In 1997 I bought a new computer on which I wanted to be able to use both
Dos 6.1, which I'd become accustomed to (along with Windows 3.1), and
Windows 95, which I expected to migrate slowly to.  The sstore  where I was
buying it used Sysstem Commander to make this possible.  So now my first
hard drive is divided into two C: virtual drives, one for each of these
purposes.

  Having become totally blind in the past three or four years, I can no
longer manage the DOS drive, which has only JAWS 2.  I've upgraded the other
drive to Windows 98SE and have JAWS 4 & 5 there.  With sighted help,
Partition Magic has been used to move as much of the DOS partition as
possible into the Windows partition.  It seems, however, that if I were to
change over from 16-bit addressing to 32-bit, the rest of the DOS partition
too could be shifted over, and additional hard-drive space would be freed up
by the smaller sector size (4096 bytes versus 32768).

  However, I'm told that the System Commander user manual doesn't explain
how to get rid of this program, which I'd perhaps no longer need.  On the
other hand, maybe System Commander does useful things during the boot up and
I should therefore keep it.

  So I'd be grateful to anyone who understands System Commander for advice
on whether to keep it or how to eliminate it and on whether it's safe to
convert to 32-bit addressing with System Commander still there.

  I should add that I feel I have plenty of free space at the moment not
only in the Windows C: partition but also on the second hard drive, which
was added to my computer in 1998 so that the two C: partitions could share
files.  They don't see each other, but they both can communicate with the
second haard drive.

Nelson Blachman
Oakland, Calif.