EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS Archives

Evolutionary Fitness Discussion List

EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Keith Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Feb 2003 22:23:34 -0500
Ming wrote on Saturday, February 15, 2003 8:34 AM

>My personal experience eating paleo and Atkins type diets
>was one of misery .... The NHE made me feel lousy too.
>... It's only when I allowed rice and some other carbs back
>into the diet that I feel good again.
>
>My question to the people here is, how much variation
>can we expect ... between people?  And how much
>does genetic imprinting based on one's early
>diet affect one's metabolism later in life?
>
>Just because some Inuits lived off whale
>meat and caribou doesn't mean everyone else can.

Good question.  It is, in my mind one of the *really* big questions for
us.  And it is one I have been pondering a lot of late.  If I knew the
answer, I'd feel more confident in *promoting* evolutionary fitness rather
than merely *noting that it works for me* and a number of others.  I have
recently taken a job in a newly developed suburb on the outskirts of town
and I have noticed in the office and in the shopping centre a higher
proportion of obese people [it is a lower income, lower average age area]
than in the CBD [where income levels and average ages are higher].  But
even in my new location, there are people with a healthy, confident poise,
no sign of obesity or other pathology and no sign of looking older than
their years.  It is especially interesting when I see them with spouses
who do display indications of obesity and fitness deficiencies.

I have a book in my Amazon.com wishlist that may point to possible
answers: Biochemical Individuality: The Basis for the Genetotrophic
Concept by Roger J. Williams.  Has anyone read it?

Keith