VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lynn Zelvin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 29 Oct 2003 21:16:14 -0500
Hi,

I ended up as an on-line banker even though I didn't mean to be one. I
opened an account with Cambridge Savings Bank during what turned out to be
only a couple of months of living in that area. I kept the account because
it was free checking. I will probably give it up soon but have used that
account for about ten years.    I pay $5 for on-line bill paying which
means I can send anyone a check without having to address an envelope or
even buy stamps. I also pay fees for withdrawing money from other banks
ATM's. - about the same amount most other banks charge for keeping the low
balances I sometimes have. I deposit checks using postage paid envelopes
they send me. If they need my signature in order to change something about
my account I print out a letter, sign it and fax it to them. Waiting in
lines at the bank during restricted hours is a vague memory and something
I'm not looking forward to having to go back to. I don't think most on-line
banks offer the kind of personal service via telephone I have received from
them and I think that must be a big part of the problem.

Lynn