VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lynn Zelvin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 9 Oct 2003 11:53:08 -0400
HI,

I don't usually look to block out information but I have a student who has
religious concerns about the Internet. He would be appalled at the type of
spam that I get. Actually, I am also appalled at it, but it might make the
difference in his willingness to use the Internet at all and he and I both
think he would get great benefit from it. I also think that when he sees
the benefits he will want his children to have some access and that poses
even more problems.

He was looking into a service thejnet.com (the jewish net) which promises
lots of blocking and control options from a Jewish values perspective, but
at present they are mainly geared towards businesses and schools and the
cheapest DSL connection which is what he really needs is about $75 a month.
Verizon offers DsL at about $35 a month and they will come out and install
it if you have a disability which would also help. Verizon touts good
blocking and filtering is possible using MSN8. I've read problems about MSN
access and haven't planed with it myself.

I guess I want to know if I can propose something to him that would offer
good blocking and filtering at a good price that is screen reader
accessible that is cheaper than the service he is looking into that he
really can't afford.

Thanks for any help.

Lynn