VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lynn Zelvin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 8 Oct 2003 23:29:12 -0400
Hi Stewart,

Can I ask what you mean by pop-ups? When I first got a computer running XP
Pro, Windows Messenger kept popping up with messages, most of them inviting
me to spend money to stop pop ups. Turns out all I needed to do was change
a setting so that Windows Messenger only runs if I want it to.  I have
included the instructions on how to do this at the bottom of this message,
, on the chance that I have guessed the correct problem.

Lynn

At 08:54 PM 10/8/2003 -0400, Stewart Hughes wrote:
>My problem is new for me and quickly making me crazy!
>   It is pop ups.  I did download a pop up stopper but many still get
>through.

Disabling the Messenger Service

To remove the ability for anyone in the world to pop up messages on your
computer, you can disable the Messenger service. Its easy to reverse at a
later time if you wish to do so.

Windows XP Professional
Click Start, Settings ,Control Panel
Click Administrative Tools
Click Services
press tab to get into the list view
arrow down to "Messenger"
press ALT + Enter to get "properties"
tab to the STOP button and press Enter.
press shift + tab once to get to the "start up type" combo box. It is
probably set to "automatic". Set it to "manual" or "disabled" depending on
whether you expect to be using it anytime soon.
Click/select OK

Windows XP Home
Click Start, Settings ,Control Panel
Click Performance and Maintenance
Click Administrative Tools
press tab to get into the list view
arrow down to "Messenger"
press ALT + Enter to get "properties"
tab to the STOP button and press Enter.
press shift + tab once to get to the "start up type" combo box. It is
probably set to "automatic". Set it to "manual" or "disabled" depending on
whether you expect to be using it anytime soon.
Click/select OK

Windows 2000
Click/select Start, Settings, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services