From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jan 2004 11:07:57 -0500
Lynnet Bannion wrote:

> For me as a hypoglycemic, breakfast is the worst time to eat carbs.
> The wrong breakfast and my insulin goes up, the blood sugar
> crashes, and I spend the rest of the day trying to catch up.
> If I eat a very low-glycemic breakfast, I'm not hungry till lunch.
> ("wrong breakfast" used to be cereal and milk, French toast,
> fruit and yogurt, sweet rolls, oh! the way I used to eat! )
>
> The best time to eat carbs for me is in the evening.  I never get
> a crash after supper, even while I was vegetarian and ate way too
> many carbs.
>
> I'd be interested to know the physiology behind this.

So would I.  There are so many nutritional ideas that look good in
theory but don't pan out.

Here's something I'd like to see.  Take two groups of people.  Put group
A on a zero-carb diet for 48 hours, which should exhaust most of their
glycogen reserves.  But allow them a normal amount of calories.  Put
group B on a "normal" carb-heavy diet with the same caloric content, for
the same time period.  Four or five hours after their last meal, give
both groups a carbohydrate challenge, such as a large baked potato (or
have them drink glucose, as in a glucose tolerance test), and record
both their BG and insulin levels over the next 5 hours.  It seems to me
that the people in group A should have a much smaller BG and insulin
response to the challenge than the people in group B, since the glucose
should be getting rapdily dumped into glycogen reserves.  If that's not
what happens, I'd sure like to know why.

Todd Moody