From:
Bruce Kleisner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Sep 2003 01:53:43 -0400
"Tad" wrote:

> Bruce Kleisner:

>> Can anyone explain the rabbit-starvation described by
>> Stefansson and other explorers? Is it just a result of
>> not eating enough Calories? Or "protein toxicity"?
>
> I believe the problem is that the body has an upper limit on the
> amount of protein it can convert to glucose per day. This combined with an
> insufficient amount of fat in rabbits leads to "rabbit starvation."

I was also thinking that protein is a fairly scarce nutrient.
Meat has about 20-25% protein by weight. So you would have to
eat like 2 kilos (4.4 pounds) just to get 1600-2000 Calories,
assuming fat is negligible. I'm not sure if the problem comes
from fat deficiency, pure starvation, or having to eat such a
huge amount of food overloads the digestion...

>> A pound of 93/7 extra lean ground beef has approximately
>> 90g protein, 30g fat, 630 Calories, 57% protein, 43% fat.
>> You'd eat 3 pounds (270g protein) to get 1890 Calories.
>
> I'm curious where you got your numbers. Is the 93/7 ratio by weight or by
> volume? If it is by weight then that should be 93g protein and 7g fat. If by
> volume then I'm not sure what the ratio would be.

The 93% refers to protein and WATER weight. 72% water in
this case. The meat has 7% fat by weight and 21% protein.

-Bruce Kleisner