From:
Bruce Kleisner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Sep 2003 17:33:54 -0400
"Craig Smith" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Bruce Kleisner:
>> This is why people lose weight
>> when they become diabetic or insulin resistant.
>
> almost all obese people are severely insulin resistant.

If they continue to abuse refined or high-glycemic carbs,
they eventually exhaust their ability to produce insulin.
Then they lose weight, no matter how much they eat. Once
the body can no longer produce insulin to assimilate all
the nutrients from food (including fat and protein), you
waste away even eating huge amounts.

> When insulin is less sensitive (more
> resistant) to the effects of blood sugar, it is released in a
> great flood, which causes cravings for carbohydrates because the
> body needs blood sugar to balance the insulin spike.

We shouldn't regard insulin solely as a glucose control
system. Before we had grains, beans, potatoes, refined
sugar, and corn syrup, insulin wouldn't have served the
same function. Modern people ABUSE their insulin system
to perform a function it never evolved for.

-Bruce Kleisner