AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Audrey Gorman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
EASI's Library Accessibility Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Sep 2003 11:34:41 -0500
Steve,

What Christine [hi, Chris!] says is true for a single user/single computer situation. She's also right about needing some type of multiple use license for a network and taking advantage of the educator discount. Rereading your message, I'm not sure what you have.

In your message, you say that your "campus has a
single site license" for the software. There's a difference between a campus-wide site license, which some companies offer, and a license for using software on a single computer. Which do you have? What does your documentation say? Have you asked Kurzweil or your vendor? Get the answer before proceeding.

Another note: no matter what your usage profile is right now, you can never guarantee only one user at a time when software is networked. That's why there are differences in permissions - and costs. You can't copy single user/single machine software to another computer legally. You also can't run it over a network so that other computers have access. It amounts to the same thing. Really basic copyright issues in the digital age!

See if your current copy is already licensed for campus use or, as Christine said, get the appropriate licensing. Or have the testing office get their own single copy.

Best!
Audrey

Audrey J. Gorman
Access for All