VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joy Tilton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joy Tilton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Feb 2003 05:32:48 -0800
Okay.  I'm trying to see if I can do a fresh install of Norton System works 2003.  However, I'm unable to remove any components from an earlier install, even though I did remove Nsw2003 with their lovely uninstaller program.  I even tried deleting the registry keys under Symantic.  Maybe that was an even bigger mistake, because now it is telling me at start up that it can not find a certain device file which was a part of the NOrton Antivirus software.
And, it is suggested that in oreder to get to that device file I should install NAV.  However, the only way I can install NAV is with this Norton System Works 2003 disk, and it's claiming I already have the antivirus software installed.  AT this point, I'm ready to kill any and all members of the Symanticf group, or whoever devised this wonderful idea of making any product like that hard to uninstall like that.
I checked the Symantic web page, since I was getting this error everytime I start up the computer, stating that I am missing a necessary file, possibly a dll file, associated with Symantic.  I tried all three of the suggestions it had to offer.  Nada.  The first suggestion was to uninstall NAV.  I tried that, by going to start menu, programs, and the Norton Antivirus menue, which, in my case, is within the Norton System Works 2003 menue.  They don't mention Norton System Works anywhere in their wonderful trouble shooting page regarding this.  Well, anyway, I go in there, only to find that the pull down menue for NAV is empty.
They suggest I repair Internet Explorer 6.   didn't see what the heck that had to do with this problem, but, I did it anyway.  Nope.
So I install this dcom program for Windows 98, although they don't explain what that was for.  Still no dice.
Does anyone have an anser as to how to do a fresh and complete removal of these lingering, but crippled programs?
I'd like to get NSW2003 to work.  But, at the state I'm in now, I'll be just relieved to be able to remove everything having to do with Symantic, just so I can start my damned computer properly.  Sorry for the language.
And, if anyone has a for sure idea, other thn formatting and restarting over again, your anser will be greatly appreciated.