Date:
Tue, 22 Jul 2003 10:15:58 -0700

I decided to update my own gluten-free medicine list
(i.e. double check the prescriptions I’m on). I
contacted several pharmaceutical companies and below
are the results. (The manufacturer’s name appears on
all prescriptions at the bottom the label. Often it is
an abbreviated form, though. One way to find out the
full name is to go to http://www.pharma-lexicon.com/.)

Geneva Pharmaceuticals --

“Currently, we do not have a listing of all
manufactured products that do or do not contain
gluten.  We have individual information for each
product, but no such listing exists.”

I checked on Diclofenac Sodium 75mg (generic Voltarin)
and Loratadine 10mg (generic Claritin) specifically,
and they are both gluten free.  They manufacture
loratadine for my store brands. They could not send me
a list of the brands, but if you check on the box, it
will tell you who makes it. I know that the Wal-Mart
brand is manufactured my Geneva and is therefore safe.

To check on any other medications manufactured by
Geneva, call (800) 525-8747 or email at

Claritin –

The following forms of Claritin are gluten-free:
Claritin allergy, Claritin RediTabs, Claritin syrup,
Claritin-D 12 hour and Claritin-D 24 hour.

Mylan –

“Mylan does not add gluten (i.e. wheat, rye, barley,
oats, or spelt) to any of the products that we
manufacture. Mylan uses only synthetic alcohols in the
manufacture of our products. The starches used in our
products are corn, rice and potato based.”

Forest –

“Nearly none of our products contain wheat, rye,
barley, oats, spelt, or components of natural grapes.
They are all Gluten-free. (Gluten defined as "a
mixture of insoluble plant proteins present in grains
such as wheat, rye, barley and oats- used as a flour
substitute".)  Feostat Suspension is the only product
that contains gluten. It is comprised of 0.43% of the
total volume of Feostat.  From that 0.43%, 20% is
malted barley.”