From:
Peter Shkabara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Nov 2003 18:37:47 -0800
Good point - a power switch is better than pulling the cable. However, this
leads to another question. The ISP recommends to have the modem on at all
times in order to improve performance. I have been following this advice,
but I don't know why this is necessary. Anyone have information on what is
it in DSL that makes it better if the modem is not turned off?

Incidentally, I tried installing ZoneAlarm, but it ends up making Internet
access inoperable for some applications. I end up exiting ZoneAlarm in order
to do work. Perhaps I should learn more about ZA, but all I really want is
to be able to turn off my network card. This is better than turning off my
modem anyway because then my wife could still continue using the Internet
while I am disconnected.

Peter
The NoSpin Group

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,