C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Yvonne Singer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 13 Jul 2003 09:18:58 -0400
Currently, I earned my Masters in Psychology from Walden University in
2002.  Previously, I received my Associates from Brookdale Community
College in 1994 and Bachelors in Psychology from Monmouth University in
1999.

I am requesting for an advocate to help me obtain employment! I am very
interested in on-line teaching at a community college. After inquiring
about this job position, I learned that one must teach in the
traditional classroom environment before teaching on-line classes. Since
I have bad speech and Cerebral Palsy, I cannot teach in the traditional
classroom environment. However, I can teach on-line classes due to my
writing and computer skills. For all the tea in China, I do not
understand why teaching off-line is a requirement.

All the advocates, including the American Disability Act Office and
Equal Employment
Office, are sending me to Division of Vocational Rehabilitation!  DVR
has never
assisted me- Before attending Brookdale Community College, I went to my
local DVR.
A DVR counselor highly recommended that I should attend a sheltered
workshop!  I simply refused to sort nails, build bird houses, finger
paint, learn numbers and the alphabet, etc.   Eleven years later, I have
my Masters and so many skills!  I just want to treated like
"nondisabled" people.  I do not want to utilize DVR's services!  I just
want a "regular" job!  I have accomplished so much more than the average
"nondisabled" person!  Everybody keeps passing the buck.  However,
nobody does anything to help me to obtain employment!  Will you please
assist me?  Thank you in advance.

Yvonne Singer