From:
Frances Ross <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Jun 2003 19:46:47 +0100

>> it seems that any tribes who had access to plants tended to eat
>> quite a wide variety, if not a large amount of any one plant.
>> the exception would be the Inuit and vikings, picts etc, due to the great
>> cold,

The Vikings and Picts were farmers (all place names prefixed with Pit in
Scotland are remnants of the old P celtic language of the Picts and refers to
good brown loamy soil). ON Bolstadr (sorry I don't know how to make my
keyboard do the accents etc) was farm stead.  As such they ate grains, they
also made cheese and butter, and from the live cow would mix blood (taken from
the thigh) and mix it with oatmeal to make blackpudding.

As to the Picts, and the Vikings in Scotland (no great cold here with the gulf
stream running by)- There is a wealth of winter vegetables and roots that grow
in Scotland. They also made teas from bark in winter. I would never think of
the Picts and Vikings as meat only in the winter. And yes. Sea vegetables
would have been on the menu too if they did not live inland.

Fran