From:
Keith Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jun 2003 08:10:30 -0500
On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 08:48 Paula wrote:

>I eat 1/2 - 1 1/2 pounds of veggies or fruits daily along with meat, nuts,
>seeds.
>
>I basically like my veggies raw and plain.
>I eat berries, melons, apples
>and grapefruit in season.  In winter I
>mainly eat broccoli, cauliflower,
>cabbage, carrots.  In the summer I eat
>green peppers, cucumbers, different
>lettuces, celery, radishes, tomatoes.
>
>I have more energy and feel better when I
>eat veggies.
>

>At 16:41 6/12/03, Mary French wrote:
>>Let's talk veggies.  What do you like to do with them?
>

>As little as possible. Stir-fry, steam, or
>eat raw. Some go in soup, though
>with good bone broth. But I don't eat
>legumes or nightshades, and only an
>occasional tuber.

Could it be that today's veggies, especially the greens like watercress,
kale, rocket, endive, basil (and other herbs) as well as mushrooms,
parsnips, shallots, are the fruits of yesterday?

That is, so many of our commonest fresh fruits have been bred recently,
grafted onto rootstock, sprayed, fertilized, artificially ripened with one
gas, flooded with another gas to prevent over-ripening, possibly
irradiated, eaten months after picking, that they have lost the
nutritional characteristics they had in the Pleistocene?  The veggies I
mentioned include many that are much closer to their Pleistocene originals
and may have a micronutrient profile (anti-oxidants etc.) that more
closely match our bodies' needs?

Keith