From:
Adrienne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jun 2003 09:58:51 EDT
In a message dated 6/20/03 4:55:35 AM Eastern Daylight Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

> Then you have a sure sign that the "paleo emulation diet" how is is
> practized by the most - by eating predominately farmed animals -
> is on the wrong track.

Excess dietary carbs raise cholesterol levels too.  Why are you making the
assumption that high levels of dietary saturated fat and monosaturated fat from
far-raised animals necessarily raise cholesterol levels?  Plenty of people
just eating plain old low-carb with regular feed-lot meats experience cholesterol
drops just by lowering carbs.  The Eades mention this in Protein Power
LifePlan.  Perhaps there are just biochemical differences between people that cannot
ultimately be explained -- for example, my cholesterol numbers dropped when I
stopped taking fish oil supplement and purposely added more saturated fat in
the form of eggs (regular organic, not the omega-3 ones), uncured bacon and
and coconut oil to my diet. Although I generally eat organic meat and eggs, it
is not always grass-fed.  More important than cholesterol numbers to me is the
fact that I feel so much more energetic. On the other hand, our lawyer has low
very low total cholesterol (120) -- he's  doing our wills so we were
discussing health etc and he mentioned that he gets very good rates for insurance
because of his extremely low cholesterol.  But is he healthy?  Not in my view.
He's chubby  (not super obese but definitely 30 pounds overweight -- prominant
fat rollover his belt.)  and eats McDonalds hamburgers and fries at nearly
every lunch and told me he never pays attention to what he eats.   If someone is
unable to obtain organic or grass-fed products, yet they are experiencing fat
loss, increased energy, better lipid profiles etc. despite eating feed-lot
meats, are you suggesting that they still give up meat/poultry and just eat fish?
I do not think that this is a guarantee for lower cholesterol levels -- it
sure didn't work for me.  I just think think it's more important for people to
see how they individually react to a given dietary regime.

 I am also curious as to how the researchers discovered the cholesterol
numbers of our paleo ancestors -- any thoughts?