From:
Tom Turak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 May 2003 08:49:39 -0400
You sent a long post, and I could respond in kind, there are a lot of things
worth checking.  If you have access to someone who can replace your RAM
memory, or at least look at your memory configuration, I would try that
first.  All your problems can be associated with faulty memory modules, or
if not physically defective, then configured improperly.  What happens is
memory errors slowly corrupt the hard drive, causing the need to reload
software.  Even the cd error is typical, because it is probably trying to
read CAB files, which are compressed.  When the decompression fails, the
error is blamed on the cd drive, but more often the culprit is the memory.
The long time performing disk management can also point at memory, since
errors must be duplicated to be reported.  What happens is the memory causes
a disk error, the disk scan repeats the action to verify there is an error,
the memory "surprise!" works this time and there is no error, so the scan
continues.  All these retries add up to a very long scan.
There are of course other things to investigate, but I would start with the
ram memory.
Tom Turak