From:
Craig Coonrad <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jun 2003 13:24:09 -0700
On Mon, 23 Jun 2003, Tom Bridgeland wrote:

> So that got me to thinking about watermelon, one of the most original,
> African, paleo foods there can possibly be. Watermelon comes from
> Africa, grows wild there. I wonder what it tastes like. Anyone had it?
> And what about all the other really ancient foods? Anything going way
> way back would almost have to be native to Africa. So what are these
> foods? Coconuts? Olives. And...?

I have not tried wild african watermelon. Based on my experience eating
'real fruit' in Brazil. I would guess that wild watermelons are smaller
and more flavorful than U.S. supermarket watermelons.

It seems all the produce in the states is optimized towards size versus
flavor (or in more economic terms quantity versus quality).

It's amazing how much flavor can be packed in to a small 'real banana'
versus the very large somewhat bland supermarket variety.

Craig