From:
Tom Bridgeland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jun 2003 09:56:13 +0900
Hi folks, thinking about the all meat diet people were talking about. I
do it sometimes for a few days. Generally I like it, but living with
the family it is hard to stick to very long. I have to offer the kids
veggies etc, and I try to eat what I give them.

Anyway, I decided to do it for a few days this week, but events
intervened, in the form of a helpful sister-in-law who appeared last
night with half a watermelon. So I gave it up after one meal and dug
into our usual mixed meat and veggies dinner, with watermelon for
desert. Man was that GOOD.

So that got me to thinking about watermelon, one of the most original,
African, paleo foods there can possibly be. Watermelon comes from
Africa, grows wild there. I wonder what it tastes like. Anyone had it?
And what about all the other really ancient foods? Anything going way
way back would almost have to be native to Africa. So what are these
foods? Coconuts? Olives. And...?

Saw an article in Nature on the ginko tree, which is very common, and
the nut is commonly eaten in Japan. This tree is, as far as we can
tell, virtually unchanged since the Triassic. Food of the dinosaurs and
all that. Our little protosimion ancestors must have been munching on
these nuts a long LONG time ago. Any food more paleo than ginko nuts?
Bugs, I suppose. Bird eggs. They are really nice, by the way. My kids
and I love them. I saw the trees growing in the US, but didn't know
they were edible. Extinct in the wild now, too. Sad, that.