From:
Kathryn Rosenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Jun 2003 10:26:33 -0400
From: Philip Thrift <[log in to unmask]>

> On Thu, 19 Jun 2003 11:14:32 -0400, Kathryn Rosenthal
> <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> >I try to feed my dog a raw diet as much as possible, ...
>
> Why?

Why?  Because I believe it is the best possible diet for my dog.  She is a
standard poodle, the dog breed whose DNA most closely resembles that of the
wolf.

Maggie is now 13 y/o.  For the first few yrs. of her life, she ate cooked
food and packaged dog food - which included grains.  Maggie had a few ear
aches, urinary infections, etc....  not optimum health.  After reading about
raw food diets and joining a raw diet pet list, I began feeding her whole
cornish game hens, deer that a friend had killed, etc.  Maggie has clean
teeth, and a very healthy body, absolutely no ear or urinary tract
infections, etc.; the vet is stunned w/ her health - all blood work is
great - Maggie looks and acts far younger than her 13 yrs.

Interestingly, she is still black - no grey.  I've talked w/ other owners
who feed their dogs raw and they have said that their dogs who were turning
grey actually reverted to their dark color after going raw.

At 13, my Maggie runs with two off-track rescued greyhounds who are several
yrs. younger than she is and, amazingly, she holds her own when they race
around the enclosed park.  The greyhounds are able to run a little faster,
but she is always right "in the pack" in third place, never lagging behind.

It was my reading about the effect of raw diets on dogs and cats that helped
me to try paleo several yrs. ago.  I think all species should eat "species
appropriate diets."   When wolves begin to cook, I'll consider switching my
dog to cooked.

Kath