From:
Tom Turak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Mar 2003 20:33:47 -0500
First, the model 2023 a dot-matrix impact printer (it 'hits' the paper to
transfer ink from a ribbon) that supports to modes, IBM or Epson.  The
driver is uncomplicated and ships with windows in every version starting
with win95.  Its not likely a driver issue, but you can test that by
deleting the printer and adding it back.

I have seen 'paper advance' which gives you a blank line, and 'skips', that
occur at any time and show a printing stop in the current line, movement
down the page, and then printing resumes where it left off, only a few lines
below.

There are two issues I have seen that cause one or either of these problems.
The first issue is easy to correct: the printer is in the wrong mode.

http://www.pasc.panasonic.com/OperMan/FindManual.asp?Pass=3

I can't copy a link that will go directly to the KXP2023(its how Panasonic
organized their site) but at least this link gets you to the manual search
site for Panasonic.  Using the panel on the left side of the page URL I have
given above, under Parts & Service, select the link for operating manuals,
and put in KXP2023.

Referencing the manual, use the printer's control panel to make sure you are
in the proper mode (IBM or Epson).  Try them both if you have to before you
know the right one.

Second issue is that the printer is getting faulty signals from the printer
port.  This can be cable, ( there are several standards for printer cable,
have you always used the same cable? before and after problem started).

The pc may have trouble with the port.  Have you been into the pc CMOS
settings?  Is the printer port in CMOS set to normal (SPP) and not ECP or
EPP (I don't think the 2023 (introduced 1991) supports these.

You might be experiencing a fault with your pc hardware, although I think
that is unlikely.

As Joe suggested, your print driver in windows could have changed settings.
I am not sure what the KXP2023 might have if you right-click on it and
choose properties, but if it has a details TAB then under it the port should
be set to printing to LPT1, and under the spool setting button, the 'spool
data format' should be RAW.

If none of this works I would test another printer with this pc.  You could
try forcing the 'add printer' wizard to re-copy the driver from the win98
cd, but its probably the same as the one on your hard disk (some .inf file
probably).

Joe may be correct and the program that prints is causing some mal-function.
There are only a limited amount of things in the way of fonts etc you can do
with the 2023, if Word or something is sending information the printer
doesn't understand, sometimes this gets 'expressed' as blank lines, for
example, a command to change line thickness is not recognized and is instead
interpreted to be text to appear on the paper.  The printer doesn't see a
signal corresponding to a number or letter it knows how to print, so it
advances the paper (linefeed) instead.

Its not a clear cut clue that the XP printed fine.  The driver for the XP
may be extensively different than the win98 driver.  For example, it may be
forcing IBM mode, thereby eliminating the chance the modes (one on the pc,
the other at the printer) are set NOT to match.

Anyway, there are a lot of different reasons the pc may be sending faulty
signals.  It takes trial and error sometimes to track it down.
Tom Turak