NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Darlene Vanasco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Mar 2003 09:10:35 -0800
My son has a 504. I had to fight for it and won him a
FT para professional last year as a "reasonable
accomodation".
I won him a PT Para this year, for lunch and field
trips.
I have my letter to the district and superintenent and
would be happy to share my experience and tips with
anyone who needs it.
The video on anaphylaxis from FAAN REALLY helped
influenece the school.
I think the key things are:
This is a disability.
This is life-threatening.
SOMEONE has to be LEGALLY responsible, trained and
ABLE.
EPI must be unlocked and available.
A plan, with multiple epi's, a person who administers,
a person who calls 911, etc. MUST be in place.
FORGET about school lunches. It's way too risky. And
the school probably will noty take the liability risk.

It was a process of educating the school, principal,
and district office for us. Every year we have to ramp
up the new teachers.
Sigh.
Darlene