From:
Frances Ross <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Feb 2003 23:25:00 +0000
 >From:    Phosphor <[log in to unmask]>
 >Subject: Re: REsupplements

 >but previously you said calcium from natural [presumably plant sources] did
 >not buold up, but from unnatural [presumably salts/dolomite etc] did build
 >up.

I can't remember that far back. If I did it was/meant in a context. If you are
so interested you should do some research on it. What I am trying to say is
that a modern diet (non paleo) is far too high in calcium and too low in Mg. A
paleo diet will give a good ratio. Why bother to take calcium as a supplement?
There is plenty in paleo food.

 >the most obvious source of calcium and magnesium for paleos was bones,
 >ground up into a soup like the Inuits do, or soft bones of fish crushed.

green vegetables, nuts and seeds and dried fruit are all good sources of
calcium.

 >Some calciums (and Magnesiums etc) from non -food sources >can not be
 >metabolised by the body.
 >which of the caclium and magnesium salts are not metabolised?

I know that Mg oxide has poor absorbability.

 >aborigines rubbed some foods in ash to get more minerals. also buried nuts
 >in soft clay. maybe this increased their mineral intake too.

Very possible.

 >what do you consider to be a good plant source of calcium?

I answered that above.

 >>But think of it this way. If you take opium from the opium poppy >(?paleo)
 >this will fill the endorphine receptor in your brain.
 >this is an interesting analogy, but I wanted some evidence.

It was the cut and paste that I posted that claimed this, not me, although I
believe it.

 >you made a
 >pretty strong claim that high intake of vitamins will lead to poor
 >absorption down the track.

Not quite this

 >if u can remember where you read this or track
 >it down i will be more than interested to look at it [no hurry].

The claim was from Dr. Vladimir Shmitsman, M.D., H.D. Much more on his site:

Re-post

http://www.reflexology.bc.ca/homeopat.htm

Just as we become tolerant of recurrent noises and other annoyances in our
physical environment, we can also create a tolerance for something that we
take for a long period of time. Therefore minerals and vitamins that used to
be effective a few months ago become ineffective in our system and no longer
respond in the same positive way they did prior to the tolerance build up. In
the same way that antibiotics become ineffective after a while, so to do other
treatments after a long enough period of time. Long-term research shows that
when we break the treatment of vitamins and minerals into cycles, they remain
much more effective in our bodies.

The duodenum processes some vitamins, such as B12, B6, B1, beta-carotene, etc,
the main area, which either produces or accepts these same vitamins from the
food we eat. What happens over a long period of time when we take vitamins is
that they build up in the blood and the system doesn=92t need to get them from
food anymore and therefore it becomes lazy and forgets how to produce these
vitamins on its=92 own. After two of three years when you stop taking these
vitamins the system gets worst because it is no longer able to derive the same
vitamins from their natural sources. In other words, our digestive system
forgets how to do its=92 job.

end of Dr. Vladimir Shmitsman, M.D., H.D. quotes.