From:
Adrienne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 10:32:54 EST
In a message dated 1/23/03 10:13:32 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> So I'm looking for a little encouragement and some tried and true advice
> from those who have gone before me.

Hi Darcy,

Try making small changes at first.  For some people, going cold turkey
becomes overwhelming and then they just get discouraged and give up. (For
myself, it's much easier to go cold turkey.) There is no need to cook every
day if you make big portions of meat, and then just use it for several meals.
 Get a crock pot and make some delicious paleo stews.  You can then apportion
this into several days worth of meals.  Sardines w/hard boiled eggs for
instance make a delicious and quick lunch.  Buy a food dehydrater and make
your own jerkey.  Jerkey and nuts are also a quick easy meal.  As far as
pleasing your partner goes -- if he can't be supportive of you trying to
improve your health -- dump him.  Alternatively, if he wants to stuff himself
with rice and beans, let him cook for himself.  All he has to do is boil some
water.  If he's so picky as you described, let him cook his own food.  He
should be grateful for whatever you make or let him get off his behind and
make his own starchfest.  Time and time again I hear of women whose partners
aren't exactly a support when the woman wants to make healthy dietary
changes.  Do you need to lose weight?  If so, I would look deeper into why
your partner isn't supporting you.  Sounds like sabotage to me.    If you do
feel unhealthy or have weight to lose, then obviously rice and beans haven't
worked for you.  You need to make a decision, which is more important to you
-- a plate of starch or your health?  Also, you may want to consider that
paleo is just not for you.  I, unlike many on this board, do not believe that
everyone necessarily does well on a meat based diet.   If you find meats and
fish, etc boring -- then I cannot possibly see how you could ever stick to a
paleo type regime.  There are tons of recipes at paleofood.com, but  in the
end, you must find what works for you.  Good luck.