C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Fri, 2 May 2003 14:01:13 -0400
Deri,

I just too a quick look at my salary breakdown for the last fort-night and
compared my gross pay with my net:

I pay 6.5% Federal tax every pay period and then once per year, like every
ofther US taxpayer, I file paperwork to determine if I've paid too much tax
or too little in the previous year.  If I've paid too much in the year I
will get the overage refunded.  Too little and I will have to cut the
federal gov't a cheque for the balance.  Many factors determine how much
federal tax gets paid by an individual (e.g., married?, own a home?, have
children?, etc.).  Personally, I'm in favor of a "flat tax" where the
individual pays a set percentage of gross income as tax to the federal
gov't.  I feel that this would cut down on rampant tax fraud in this
country.

My "state" tax is 3.2%.  Some states do not tax on personal income.

My "village" tax, in the town where I reside, is 2.0%

So, my income taxes total approx. 12% of gross income.

There are also taxes to "warrant" income after retirement, called Social
Security.  The are paid by people working in non-government jobs.  Gov't
employees pay into either federal or locally managed retiredment accounts.

Property taxes in the US are like your "Local Tax" and are assessed based on
the value of your home.  Not all areas have property tax, while some areas
have outrageous tax rates.

Gasoline (petrol) is taxed both at the federal and local level.  Most states
have a "General Sales Tax" on all goods (and some services).  Local
Municipalities can add their own GST as well.

A very rough estimate of my total tax burden equals something around 60-65%
of my gross salary.  As I implied earlier, depending on many parameters--not
the least of which is where you live--trying to nail down an average US tax
burden is like trying to herd cats.

Hope this give SOME insight.

Kyle

What's the tax levels like in the US.