C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Trisha Cummings <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Mar 2003 07:52:55 -0500
Hi Murali,

     My name is Trisha and I have a 16 year old daughter Amber - who is a
great kid, smart, active and as matter of birth also acaquired a condition
called Cerebral Palsy. She had a grade 1 brain bleed which damaged the
portion of her brain which controls her speech and motor movement abilities
on her right side. She has what is called Right Hemiplegia. She is also has
spasticity - which means the muscles are very tight and draw up and jerk. I
agressively sought treatment when she was still under one old. When she was
3 1/2 I found a very wonderful treatment called electrical stim. Thru hours
of treatment this gave her paralyed right arm and hand - some very
impressive results - when discountinued she regressed but certainly nowhere
near the original state. Amber is a beautiful, smart, talented, active child
- she played softball, goes to dances and has tons of friends who adore her.
Most everyone forgets she has CP, and recently her new sister pushed her
down because ooooppps she forgot. I think the most important of all of this
is the emphasis on the person part. Each and everyone one of us is a person
first and then has something. There are few really "normal" folks. While CP
is something Amber and many of the list members live with - they are first
people and have intellect and personalities, and those things come shining
thru by being more than just CP and having one dimensial lives. Since CP
affects each person differently they all have varitions on a theme, and
different challanges and levels of involvement.

Years ago, I started a web page about CP -
http://www.homestead.com/Raynyng_Angel/index.html
I never got finished because there is so much to cover, but perhaps it will
help a bit.

                Brightest Blessings - Trisha