From:
Jupiter Dog <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jupiter Dog <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Jan 2003 16:55:50 -0800

Hi, thanks for all the responses about symptoms of gluten intolerance. I
have a lot of summary to do and will get to it soon (a little overwhelming).

Something I've been reading about is interesting. People keep talking about
blood tests for celiac. I beleive I had the gliadin test around the same
time as my biopsies. This was about three years ago. Everything came back
negative. Now, see later on I discovered something unique about my body. An
immunologist tested my immune response and discovered I was IgA deficient to
the point of undetectable amounts of IgA in my system. As far as the test
goes, I do not produce any IgA.

Would this have affected the anti-gliadin test?

I have been told that IgA deficiency is common in celiacs, but that plenty
of IgA deficient people DONT have celiac.

I was also told my an alergist that the absense of IgA in my
gastrointestinal tract would probably mean LESS, not MORE allergic reaction
to foods (since there is no IgA to react). But I think Celiac and gluten
intolerance is NOT just a plain allergy response, it's more complicated.

What do you kind folks recommend that I do? I know my insurance will NOT
send me back in for more biopsies (believe me, I've been through the ringer
with them). But maybe in the last 3 years things have changed and there are
blood tests that might help pinpoint gluten problems? Or maybe I should say
"screw it" to all the testing (I've had enough testing in my life to blow a
gasket) and just go GF?

Thanks and sorry for sounding a little nuts.